The App on my phone tells me that there’s just 166 days and 1 hour until the beginning of TCR no.5. Yikes…?!
What I do on each of the next 166 days will have some contribution towards my experience of the race. The way I picture it, each day might entail a marginal gain, or marginal loss, or maybe neither. Ideally, there’ll be an opportunity every single day to make sure that I’m doing something active towards my preparation, resulting in a consistent series of marginal gains. Hence arriving at the start line as physically, mentally and practically as prepared as is possible. This means actual riding time / physical training for the most part, but kit preparation and route planning also require meticulous attention.
Here’s a first issue of my bike set up and kit list. This will no doubt look different to the final kit list, since I intend to train with, test and modify the details. I’m looking forward to the day that I can lay everything out and say, this is what I’m taking. All in good time!
Carl the Cube Attain. An aluminium frame with carbon forks. Carl was a recent purchase who replaced my Condor Heritage. I chose Aluminium since it ticks all the boxes in terms of comfort, price and weight.
Yet to be sorted. To include a SON Deluxe dynamo.
- Castelli bib shorts
- Short sleeve jersey
- Fingerless gloves
- Kask Mojito helmet + TCR cap + Oakleys
- Neck buff
- Castelli windproof gilet
- 1 x base layer
- SPD Shimano shoes
Apidura / Rapha Saddle Pack to contain:
- Alpkit Hunka Bivy Bag & Alpkit Numo lightweight sleeping mat
- Lightweight synthetic sleeping bag
- LWE Waterproof / Breathable Jacket
- RAB gilet
- 2 x spare tubes
Apidura / Rapha Handlebar Bag to contain:
- Castelli bib shorts & short sleeve jersey (spares)
- Long sleeve wind jersey
- 1 x base layer
- 2 pairs of socks
- 1 x t-shirt, to wear off bike
- Defeet gloves & defeet oversocks, for those chilly nights.
- Mini medical kit + minimal toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste)
Apidura Top tube bag to contain:
- Food / snacks
Restrap frame bag to contain:
- Documents – Passport, insurance docs, tickets etc.
- Titanium spork & Titanium mess mug
- Carb powder for bottles.
- Cables for electronics
Electronics / Other
- Garmin 705 edge + Garmin Etrex 30
- Phone & Ipod
- Lights – TBC
- 2 x 750ml bottles
- Tool bottle – To contain 1 x tube, tyre levers, multi tool, chain tool, spare links, chain lube.
- Leyzene frame pump
At the moment, my investments include a wheel set + dynamo, dynamo front lights and the garmin Etrex 30. Seeing as I’ve just been made redundant from my job in Architecture, there’s no more spending sprees to be had until I have another job/income! I’m on the case.